Port-hpcarm archive

Re: HP Jornada 728 for everyday life?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 18:05:35 +0100, Emanuele Santoro wrote:

> - Using wireless, are there any limitations? I plan to use it at home
>   (wpa/tkip pre shares key) and at school (open network! :-D), but not
>   only: can i do wireless sniffing, packet capturing and similar things
>   with a pcmcia wireless card?

Finding real pcmcia, 16-bit wifi card (not 32-bit cardbus) might prove
to be a problem.  Old ones probably don't support WPA.  You can
reflash a PRISM card with newer firmware that does support WPA, but
unfortunately NetBSD wi(4) driver has not been converted to support
it.

> - May I use GNU Emacs on the 728 or is it too heavy?

728 has 64MB of RAM, which should be plenty.  I really don't
udnerstand why people think emacs is too heavy :)

> - How is APM/ACPI supported? What about standby and/or suspend to disk?

As far as I can tell it's not possible to support proper suspend in
principle for the 7xx series.  The problem is that ARM CPU wakes up by
doing a kind of reset, jumping to memory address 0, where WinCE ROM is
located (and it is really read-only), so there's no way you can handle
wake up.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen