Port-evbmips archive

Re: ERLITE frozen in rc script after switching to GCC 5.4

On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 04:35:31PM +0000, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 09:34:24AM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:
> > My Lemote YeeLoong (mips64-el LOONGSON-derived kernel) seems to work OK
> > as far as updating the SD-card root/var filesystems now.
> >

> Do you have an allergy to disks? :-) it has a SATA disk.
>
> > Now, when leaving the machine sitting idle for a couple of days, I return
> > to find it completely frozen--keyboard unresponsive, no messages of any
> > kind on the console.  Forced power-cycle is the only recourse.  I then let
> > it boot penguin-OS to clean up the ext2 filesystems then netboot NetBSD
> > to clean up the SD-card FFS filesystems.
> >

> I haven't gotten it to work, but I think only the kernel and boot.cfg need
> to be in ext2 (or FAT), the rest of the OS can be whatever you want. No need
> to mount it after booting a kernel.
>
> Not that it should freeze... DEBUG and LOCKDEBUG may help... I've seen
> freezes too.

Also, there is a known loongson2 hardware bug which causes freezes... I'm
guessing it will be really hard to tell apart.

There is a gas option to work around it, I'm not sure if it is sufficient
to build the kernel with it or userland has to be built with it too.