Port-evbmips archive

Re: ERLITE frozen in rc script after switching to GCC 5.4

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 04:48:19 +0900, Rin Okuyama <rokuyama%rk.phys.keio.ac.jp@localhost>
wrote:

> My ERLITE became quite unstable after switching to GCC 5.4. It freezes
> very often when it processes rc script during NFS boot. Once it freezes,
> it does not enter DDB from console, nor respond to ping. It seems to
> work normally after boot sequence is completed. If my memory is correct,
> I didn't observe such a behavior when we used GCC 4.8.5. Does anyone
> encounter similar cases, and/or have any ideas?

Since the official switch of mips64* to GCC 5.4, I've had something
similar occur on my Lemote YeeLoong (mips64el, LOONGSON-derived kernel).

Although I've never had it freeze during boot or rc script processing
either from NFS or local media (SD card), I have lately been unable to
update the SD card with more recent builds due to the machine completely
freezing while untarring the release sets.  It's completely unresponsive
and will not enter DDB.  The only way to regain control is by forced
power-cycle.

Just before the GCC switch it was stable.  Curiously, my experimental
GCC5 builds seem to be just as stable (and didn't suffer a few oddities
that GCC4.8.5-built systems did).

I wonder if anything from:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2016/10/18/msg078519.html

is at play here?  I've recently built a release from scratch which includes
this update, but I haven't booted it yet.