Port-evbmips archive

Re: ERLITE frozen in rc script after switching to GCC 5.4

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016, coypu%SDF.ORG@localhost wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 07, 2016 at 09:34:24AM -0600, John D. Baker wrote:
> > as far as updating the SD-card root/var filesystems now.
>
> Do you have an allergy to disks? :-) it has a SATA disk.

The internal disk was split between boot, penguin-OS (Gnewsense), and
OpenBSD before NetBSD had support for LOONGSON processors.  OpenBSD
shares swap, "/tmp", and an auxiliary filesystem with penguin-OS by
keeping them as ext2fs.  Not wanting to disturb the setup, I put NetBSD
root and "/var" on SD card, sharing those same on-disk partitions.

(Lately, NetBSD's ext2fs support seems to have gotten flakey, but I haven't
tried again recently.)

> I haven't gotten it to work, but I think only the kernel and boot.cfg need
> to be in ext2 (or FAT), the rest of the OS can be whatever you want. No need
> to mount it after booting a kernel.

See above.  I've been pondering a larger disk for it so I can give NetBSD
a completely independent set of filesystems while penguin-OS/OpenBSD can
continue to share.

> Not that it should freeze... DEBUG and LOCKDEBUG may help... I've seen
> freezes too.

Ah.  I forgot -current enables DIAGNOSTIC by default, but not any *DEBUG.
I'll see about those in my next build.  (My YEELOONG config includes
LOONGSON and turns off unneeded options/devices.)