Port-dreamcast archive

Re: helper images "DCburn" and "DCserv" for NetBSD/dreamcast

abs@ wrote:

> On 14 June 2012 15:36, Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost>
> wrote:
> > abs@ wrote:
> >> I wonder if it might make sense to make DCburn into a pkgsrc script,
> >> which would make it even easier for those with an existing NetBSD
> >> install (possibly on amd64 or even a non x86 arch :) to create DC boot
> >> images.
> >
> > IMO Makefile is enough for existing NetBSD (and other) install systems.
> > (scripts that create DCburn/DCserv images might be worth though)
>
> I was thinking of an easier way to distribute the tool. So anyone on
> an existing NetBSD system can (say) install sysutils/dcburn which
> provides the script to run, without needing to download and mount the
> ISO image to extract the Makefile...

Most users want an easier way to get a bootable CD-R, not tools for it,
and using dcburn image on PC with a USB stick is much easier, isn't it?
I don't see a point to have yet another "easier way" for non-easy
existing systems which might have a bunch of variants and quirks.

Preparing tools for existing systems might be a fun project
for someone, but I have less interest in it.

> Also, what would people think of a pkgsrc entry which would depend on
> gxemul and something like dcburn to setup an easy emulated dreamcast
> with NetBSD boot?

Gxemul can load a kernel via command line option (as cheat).

Even if users want to load a kernel from CD media on gxemul,
it seems to require a "raw" image (including both audio/data tracks)
which dcburn doesn't provide.

Anyway, dumb scripts that created dcburn/dcserv are here:
http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/tsutsui/netbsd/dreamcast/make-dcburn-20101128.sh
http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/tsutsui/netbsd/dreamcast/make-dcserv-20101128.sh
for users who is interested in possible customized tools.

Note 6.0 (including BETA and BETA2) include raw netbsd-GENERIC{,_MD}.bin.gz
kernels in distribusion so objcopy is not necessary on preparing
a kernel in dcburn.

---
Izumi Tsutsui