Re: Off topic: Anyone using other operating systems on Cobalt Qube2/Raq2?

On Jan 17, 2010, at 10:14 AM 1/17/10, Andy Ruhl wrote:

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 4:36 AM, Glyn Astill <glynastill%yahoo.co.uk@localhost> wrote:
I'm a big debian fan, however for me it never really worked out on the qube2. I wasted so much time on it, and I eventually gave up as the mips developers didn't care about problems on the qube. Net bsd is so much more together.

As I recall etch worked ok most of the time but crashed under load, and lenny just slowly died after a couple of hours of uptime, (I think it was kernel 2.6.26 - and I heard reverting back to 2.6.23 helped)

Thanks for the insight. I kinda wanted to try Debian since I'm not
getting very far with Gentoo, but I think I won't.

I've actually run Debian on my Qubes/Raqs in the past and it actually worked pretty well but it was just hard to keep up with the patches and packages on it at the time even with apt-get. More often than not something from apt-get upgrade would fail and leave me with a borked box. I was pretty happy when I learned how to run NetBSD on these boxes and it's all I run on them now. :-)

Of course now I get the occasional pgksrc issue (like trying to install gtk2 and failing due to x11-links) but it's by far superior than Debian was in my book.
--
Mike

Azarath, Metrion, Zinthos!