Compiling kernel for Qube2700WG?

Since I've already got my Qube2 set up to build a proper kernel can I just
make anew copy of the kernel config, disable the com entry, and make one
for the older Qube?  (I've already trimmed a lot of cruft out of my
existing config.)

Or is there something else I need to do?

Also once the kernel is built is it possible to just insert it into a
fresh .iso of the current restore CD and get a proper netboot install for
that box?

I'm new to cross-compiling things...
--
Mike Hebel