Subject: Qube2/NetBSD1.6/DDS - any SCSI success at all ?
To: None <port-cobalt@netbsd.org>
From: Ian Spray <cobalt@minimal.cx>
List: port-cobalt
Date: 05/22/2003 11:19:39
Hi all,

Has anyone got a SCSI DDS tape drive working on a Qube 2 ?  If so, I'd love
to know what SCSI card you are using (and what revision of it, if applicable),
and any tweaks that needed to be done to the O/S to get it to work.

I've got an NCR card that is detected just fine by NetBSD/cobalt 1.6, and
will find the Sony DDS2 tape drive without a problem.  mt will rewind and
eject tapes, but as soon as tar gets a decent distance into a backup, the
tar job will lock solid, with no data going out to the tape.  I can try all
I like to kill the job, but it shows up in ps listings until I reboot.  The
card and drive both work without a hitch on an PC under Win2K, so I can't
rule out the problem is actually with some of the DIP switches on the drive.
The Sony manual on these gets very confused when confronted with more than
one type of Unix, and even suggests different settings depending upon the
CPU (Solaris SPARC and x86 are different), but fails to say what the
switches actually do.

I've been looking through the archives, and there is only one message (from
Frank Mattes, last December) asking about an Adaptec 2940.  I'm quite happy
to get a different card from eBay if that helps, but I'm worried by a post
concerning 802.11b PCI adaptors, where the poster talks about the Qube 2
possibly lacking a voltage rail, and don't want to amass a collection of
useless SCSI cards.

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2002/12/19/0001.html
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2002/05/01/0002.html
  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-cobalt/2002/05/02/0000.html

Any help, even just a list of 100% working hardware and software would be
most appreciated (if the replies are private, I'll post a summary to the
list if no-one objects, just so it's archived for future queries), as would
any confirmation/denial of the voltages available on the Qube PCI slot.

Thanks in advance,
--
ian.