Port-bebox archive

Re: NetBSD/bebox 1.5?

On Fri 10 Nov 2000 at 16:04:59 +1030, Craig Turner wrote:
> > So now I have an Alpha.
>
> Wow. Now this is cool (and about to become incredibly off-topic, but I
> figure that's OK because I don't think there's many more people on the
> list.. What do you run on it? (I love unusual setups, etc) I'm hoping not

Simply NetBSD. But I use a Sun 3/60 as an X server (big monochrome
screen) because X is not really supported for Alpha except for one
specific video card. Too many intel-isms in XFree86. But people are
working on it, I hear. The last time I tried an X server on the BeBox it
was way too slow to be usable. The Sun is doable, even though it is only
a 20 MHz 68020 with 20M RAM. Boots diskless from the Alpha. Before I
used a 3/50 at 16 MHz and 4M which is not that much slower, but when it
starts to swap over the net it sometimes just freezes for seconds.

> NT, because that wuld have given you a sense of deja vu after MS decided
> to drop all but intel as a platform :) (What runs on Alpha? Digital Unix,
> NetBSD, Linux and NT4.... and that'd be it, right?)

And OpenVMS. That's the new name of VMS since some version. I also have a
MicroVAX 2000 with a very old VMS installed. It is kind of cute. The same
machine can also netboot NetBSD of course. And that's not yet my complete
collection ;-)

>   - C
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.