Re: Questions on kernel options enabled by default on i386 but not atari...

(a late reply as a part of hackathon13 :-)

 :
> Is there good reason the NTP option is disabled on Atari, or
> could it just be an oversight?

This kernel option is mentioned in options(4) man page.
In short word, this option provides more efficient
in-kernel PLL support for NTP, but NTP can still work
in userland without this kernel support. (with a bit less precision?)

I guess network interfaces are not so common on atari machines
so options NTP isn't enabled by default.

> There were also a few pseudo-devices enabled on i386 by default
> but disabled on atari, including: crypto, swcrypto, ksyms

AFAIK, crypto and swcrypto are required when we use some hardware
accelerated cryptographic devices (like hifn(4) at pci etc).

On the other hand, ksyms(4) might be useful even on normal operations
like savecore(8), pmap(1) etc..
---
Izumi Tsutsui