To: "David Brownlee" <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
Cc: <dross%pobox.com@localhost>; <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost>;
<port-atari%netbsd.org@localhost>
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2009 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: NetBSD/atari Xserver (Was: pushing netbsd-5)

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 12:15 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, T. Makinen wrote:

I've updated NetBSD/atari page about recent fixes and changes. Maybe we
should do another announcement when RC1 is available :)

       Looks good.

       On another topic - it looks like a working Xserver would
       be quite a compelling factor for NetBSD/atari users.

Yes, X would be nice to have.

       1.6.1 was the last NetBSD release which shipped with an
       Xserver, (XF68_FBDev from X11R6.3), which was never ported
       forward:

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-1.6.1/atari/binary/sets/

       XF68_FBDev is a 'raw' framebuffer driver. The two options
       would be to port it forward to the latest xorg, or adjust
       the atari grf device to we wsdisplay compatible so it could
       run the generic wsdisplay Xserver.

       David/Tuomo - have you tried running the 1.6.1 Xserver on
       a NetBSD-5.0 install? It should be possible to:
       - perform a clean NetBSD 5.0 install including the X sets
       - Install pkgsrc/emulators/compat16
       - download the 1.6.1 sets and extract ./usr/X11R6/bin/XF68_FBDev
         from xserver.tgz only and try running it

       :)

I have not tried running 1.6.1 Xserver on NetBSD, but I'll try it some time
soon :)

-Tuomo