Re: Current kernel with http://gnats.netbsd.org/39965 and pmap patches

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Izumi Tsutsui
<tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost> wrote:
> Tuomo wrote:
>
>> Maybe with special establish and dispatch functions as you suggest we can
>> prevent freezing which happens when reading from ATA and writing to SCSI.
>> Could this also help with problem that occur when ATA is used for reading
>> and writing ?
>
> Hmm, if we'll try to handle wdc and dma interrupts in separate handlers
> maybe we have to investigate how the MFP interrupt lines are wired
> and how they should be handled.
>
> BTW, have you ever tried netbsd-4 kernels?
> (of cource they may also require several pmap fixes)

No, I started to use current kernel after SCSI freezing bug was solved.

> There are two major changes between 3.x and HEAD,
> one is gcc4 and another is MI softint(9) reorganization.
> The former was imported before 4.0 and the latter happened after 4.0,
> so it may be worth to try netbsd-4 kernels.
>
> atari uses si_callback() functions in many drivers
> and the functions use the software interrupt framework.
> The software interrupt code was machine dependent in 4.0,
> but after 4.0 MI softintr(9) APIs became mandatory so
> I rewrote atari's MD softintr(9) code to have MI APIs and
> also modified si_callback functions to use the MI softintr(9),
> but I don't think anyone tried it at that time.
> (the callback functions are a bit complicated, IMO)
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-atari/2007/03/07/0000.html
>
> I've just applied your pmap-sync3.diff to netbsd-4 with blindly
> resolved conflicts and built kernels with gcc3 and gcc4:
> (there might be several my local changes,
>  adding volatile to bus_space(9) etc.)
>
> http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/atari-pmap-netbsd-4-20081225.diff
> http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/netbsd-ATARITT-4.0_STABLE-20081225.gz
> http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/netbsd-ATARITT-4.0_STABLE-gcc3-20081225.gz
> http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/netbsd-FALCON-4.0_STABLE-20081225.gz
> http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/~tsutsui/netbsd/netbsd-FALCON-4.0_STABLE-gcc3-20081225.gz

Thanks for looking at this issue :) I just tried
netbsd-FALCON-4.0_STABLE-20081225.gz kernel, but it hangs when probing SCSI
devices. It seems that kernel also needs following patch for ncr5380.c:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2008/10/28/msg211905.html

-Tuomo