Re: Testing sysinst.fs

David's latest sysinst (http://mono.org/abs/sysinst6.fs.gz) appears to run installboot properly. At least I get good output from it (I think the same as I saw with a working NetBSD 1.6.1 install). I'm just not sure yet if it really worked because I can't get to a bootable state yet. But assuming it does, nice work!

The next step for me was to get booted up on the ATARITT kernel where I have networking. From there I tried an install to see if the hard drive boot will work. I'm happy to report that as of the 11/09 build, the ATARITT kernel boots for me and I can get networking. But getting further with the install has been difficult...

I made two attempts tonight to get 200811090002Z installed but in both cases I hit different kernel panics. The first one died extracting the first large set. I got:

panic: ppol_put: buf64k: page header missing
I didn't write down the data from the stack other than the function names:
panic
pool_put
buf_mrelease
buf_trim
buf_drain
uvm_pageout
lwp_trampoline

The next panic I got was a little earlier, during the FTP of the first large set itself. I believe the panic was "lock error" but it scrolled off the screen after I dumped the stack trace. It was a very long stack trace so I only wrote down the top:
panic
lockdebug_abort
mutex_abort
mutex_vector_enter
mutex_enter
biodone2
biodone
sddone
scsipi_complete
scsipi_done
run_main
ncr_ctrl_intr
scsi_ctrl
mfp2_5380
pmap_changebit
.. didn't copy the rest ...

If you'd like to tackle either one of these, let me know and I can provide more detail!

David, I think you had previously discussed some changes that would cut down the size of the ATARITT kernel. Please do make that change, since as of right now the ATARITT kernel is just slightly over the size of a 1.44MB floppy when gzip'd. I used ghostlink to transfer it, but it's a bit awkward and slow.

Also, even thought we don't yet know for sure if boot works yet, your installboot change at least allows me to get further with the install. Can you submit it?

Thank you!

David Ross
dross%pobox.com@localhost

----- Original Message ----- From: "T. Makinen" <tjamaloo%gmail.com@localhost>