Re: Testing sysinst.fs

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:42 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
>        Excellent. So 22 fails but 40 works. Could you maybe test 32 and
>        a couple of other values to find the smallest value that reliably
>        works?

Yes, I'll run some tests with different ST_POOL_SIZE values tomorrow with
unclean file systems.

>        Does a kernel without REAL_DMA choke on both, or does it work on
>        030 and fail on 060?

Kernel without REAL_DMA worked with 030 and 060. So far the only crash has been
with kernel which has REAL_DMA defined and ST_POOL_SIZE set to 22.

>        OK, so we're choking in one of the three uvm_map() calls in
>        pmap_init() in sys/arch/atari/atari/pmap.c
>        uvm_km_check_empty() is checking that an area of memory
>        is free to map (that is doesn't overlap with any existing
>        mappings).
>
>        Could you add printf() calls before each of those uvm_map()s
>        showing the address and length in each case? That should let
>        us know which is failing, and hopefully some insight into
>        what is overlapping.

It fails at first uvm_map() call. I added debug printf() calls with address and
value of addr, hopefully this helps.

Here's picture of panic (sorry about crappy quality this time), debug printf()
output is at second line:
http://koti.welho.com/tmakinen/atari/debug.jpg

Here's also dmesg with debug printf() calls from FALCON kernel without DEBUG
option:
http://koti.welho.com/tmakinen/atari/Falcon-netbsd-debug-dmesg

>        btw, if you have another faster box you can cross build a kernel
>        by running the following (once only) to build a cross compiling
>        toolchain:
>
>            ./build.sh -m atari tools

Yes, I use my PC box (running NetBSD on vmware) to cross build kernels, very
convenient way :)

>        Then each time you change the source:
>
>            ./build.sh -m atari kernel=FALCON

Thanks for the tip, I have been using just nbconfig and nbmake-atari to
configure and build kernel.

-Tuomo