RE: Booting /NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200807120002Z on my TT030

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008, David Ross wrote:

Thanks, I just added a link on the Links page.

I'm not sure what would happen if you were to replace the kernel as you
describe.  Those kernels at least boot, so you'd probably wind up with
something that works...  sort of.  If the entire distribution was built
around the 1.6.1 kernel, I think there would be problems though.  If I
get a chance I'll try this out in the future but I'm not really
optimistic.

        NetBSD has very good backwards compatability. There are
        few few programs from an earlier release which do not run
        fine under a later kernel - usually ipf/pf and some tools
        like netstat are the only problems.

        My usual procedure for upgrading NetBSD is to put a new
        kernel in place, ensure it boots OK, then extract the new
        sets by hand. Of course that was on sparc, arm, alpha and
        i386...

        If you have a spare drive (and time! :) it would be
        interesting to test a NetBSD 1.6.1 install, followed by a
        NetBSD 3.1 kernel.  If that worked, then just extract the
        NetBSD 3.1 sets (except etc.tgz), and run /usr/sbin/postinstall

        If the NetBSD 2.x and 3.x issues you saw were install and not
        kernel related then I would expect it to work...

I haven't tried any Atari emulators.  It's possible that one might work
but I'm not even familiar with what's out there.

        Just a thought :)