Re: Raspberry Pi 4 unstable when run from USB stick

> umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

> A few questions, if I may: [...]
>   - Do other folks have the same issue with USB-attached storage?

I have seen very similar symptoms (possibly identical, but I don't have
an example at ready hand to check, for example, that the messages are
spelled identically) on much older systems - I don't run anything newer
than 5.2 (except sometimes for work, but that's not really relevant
here[%]).

I have always assumed it's an issue with the USB-facing hardware in the
device - it seems to correlate better with the device than with the
host - but I don't actually know.  That it happens on versions
separated by at least a decade argues, albeit hardly conclusively, that
it probably is not the software stack.

[%] For one work thing, I once used 8.0 and, later, 9.1, on amd64.  I
say this isn't really relevant here because I don't recall specifically
whether I saw this symptom there.  If I did, I probably wrote it off to
the device flaking out, same as I typically do on 5.2.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign