Raspberry Pi 4 unstable when run from USB stick

Hi!

My Raspberry Pi 4 has a broken SD card, so I installed the latest -current snapshot (9.99.106) onto a USB stick, only using the UEFI loader on the SD card. This works generally fine but after a few hours of load on the system (compiling stuff, for example), USB stick eventually becomes unresponsive. Any processes using it either hang or get an I/O error. The error messages on console 1 are an endless stream of

umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT

A few questions, if I may:

 - Is this a problem with the stick, or with the Pi?
 - Any ideas so that this no longer occurs?
 - Do other folks have the same issue with USB-attached storage?

Lastly, is there a better way in general to have storage on an RPi? SD cards are not reliable in the long (or even medium) term. USB sticks are unreliable. Is spinning rust the answer? Or some sort of special storage attachment hat?

--
Benny