Re: 64-bit pi 3 grief

andrew.cagney%gmail.com@localhost (Andrew Cagney) writes:

>#1: the kernel doesn't wait for the sd0 to come online and instead
>prompts for the root device (I hit this long ago on an odroid, and the
>SSD was a workaround ...)

In this case you can add the option boot_delay to the config.txt
file. This instructs the firmware ("start.elf") to wait a bit before

boot_delay=15

to wait 15 seconds.

>#2: the prompt displays "root device: ld0", I think it should have
>displayed "root device: sd0a" since that is what was specified

It uses the boot device (where the kernel was loaded from) as default.

>Should "init" have waited longer for "sd0a" before prompting for the
>root device (perhaps it waited for ld0?).  Since "sd0" does come
>online while "init" is sitting at the "root device" prompt, should
>"init" be able to detect this?

That's the kernel, not "init" which is the first thing loaded from
the root disk.

Maybe it should detect devices that attach later, on the other hand
it waits for user input, and aborting that automatically isn't
a good solution either.

>- sd0a is a usb/*spinning-disk* (configured kernel boot param)
>Kaboom.  Based on the HIDs and USBs in the backtrace, and page upon
>page of what look like usb message dumps, I'm guessing its the kernel
>trying to read the keyboard.

Maybe you can catch the messages and the backtrace ?

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost