Re: Slow network on evbarmv7h NetBSD 9

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, 4:02 AM Sad Clouds <cryintothebluesky%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 00:02:21 -0600
Rich Neswold <rich.neswold%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>     time scp -q -oCompression=no -ocipher=none junk remote:junk

This is not a good way to test network throughput.

My target machine is an older, uniprocessor Intel box but it has Gig-Ethernet and SATA drives. It can definitely accept data faster than 1.5MB/sec.

I didn't trust my other test: My Pi's flash is read-only and I NFS-mount my home directory from a Synology NAS with SATA drives. If I do

    dd if=/dev/zero of=junk bs=8192 count=8192

it creates the 16MB file in 2.9 seconds which is ~23MB/sec -- much better throughput! I wasn't sure what kind of buffering and caching was being done my the filesystem, so I tried the 'scp' version.

I would recommend you use specific tools like iperf, which generate
data on the fly.

Thanks for the pointer.