Re: wiki page udpates

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 01:18:05PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
> As threatened, I have edited the wiki page at
>
>   https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/
>
> a lot.  I folded in many of the comments, either adding their content or
> adding \todo entries to explain things that were asked.  Given that I
> received zero objecting comments, I tended to the heavyhanded side.
>
> I could use help with some of the questions; feel free to edit or to
> email me with answers.  Specifically:
> [...]
>  - why no armv7_inst.img?  Is it becuase you can install an earmv7hf
>    build on a RPI2/3 with the inst image from an earmv6hf build?

My guess as to the "why" is that there never was the goal for it to be
(or become) a generic "earmv6hf installation image", but something
rather specific to the Raspberry Pi.  I don't think rpi_inst.img boots
out of the box on a Pi 2/3 because it contains a RPI_INSTALL kernel
called kernel.img while you need a RPI2_INSTALL kernel called
kernel7.img on a Pi 2/3.

I sent a patch[1] to port-arm that makes build.sh release also build a
rpi2_img.gz, both when building earmv6hf and earmv7hf (it might need a
bit of manual work to apply to a current tree).  There wasn't much
interest back then, I assumed nobody really cared about installing
that way and I was just the only one crazy enough to do that :).

>  - is the sshramdisk section actually still right?

I suppose it is, but I'm not sure if it's very *relevant* these days.
I guess most people just want to dd an image to a (micro) SD card,
insert it into their board, turn it on and be done with it.  For some
reason I like to avoid resizing file systems after their creation,
that's why I've always liked it.

  Harold

[1] https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/2017/08/18/msg004374.html