Compiling on RaspberryPI

Hi everyone, I've just subscribed to this mailing list as I started
playing since yesterday with my new RaspberryPI with NetBSD head-daily
(28/10) running on it.

I'm a FreeBSD and OpenBSD user since many years now but this is the
second time I'm using NetBSD so I'm still in the process of adjusting.

Anyway the OS seems to be running very well.
I'm trying to compile asterisk on my raspi and compilation time aside
I'd say that was going fairly well (using pkgsrc) until the gmp package.

From scratch it successfully compiled and installed the following:
digest-20121220     Message digest wrapper utility
perl-5.18.1nb1      Practical Extraction and Report Language
m4-1.4.17           GNU version of UNIX m4 macro language processor
bison-3.0           GNU yacc(1) replacement
gmake-4.0           GNU version of 'make' utility
libtool-base-2.4.2nb5 Generic shared library support script (the script
itself)
pkg-config-0.28     System for managing library compile/link flags
lzo-2.06            Portable lossless data compression library
libcfg+-0.6.2nb3    Command line and configuration file parsing library
p5-gettext-1.05nb9  Perl5 module interface to C I18N functions
help2man-1.43.3     Generate simple manual pages from program output
autoconf-2.69nb3    Generates automatic source code configuration
scripts

The gmp package failed with the following:
tmp-addcnd_n.s: Assembler messages:
tmp-addcnd_n.s:141: Error: selected processor does not support ARM mode
`bx r14'
*** Error code 1
Stop.

So, my question is .... am I trying something which I'm not supposed to
due to the 'packages' often not being compilable on such architecture?
Or I'm missing some step? Or just not all packages are ready?

I'm a bit lost.
Any hint would be highly appreciated.