Re: Dockstar boots - was Re: Dockstar question

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:34 PM, Allen Wong <allen%submoron.org@localhost>
wrote:
> I also haven't been able to boot a 5.99.53 kernel on my Sheevaplug.  I
> attached a serial console and found that the startup hung on:
>
> Updating motd.
>
> I set update_motd to "NO" in rc.conf and it booted cleanly.  However any
> attempts to write to the filesystem causes it to hang again.  It doesn't drop
> into the debugger; the system locks up hard.  I haven't had time to
> investigate
> further.

I disabled a lot of stuff in /etc/rc.conf, and my dockstar booted with
a kernel built yesterday. Here's what I did:

#sshd=YES
sshd=NO
#ntpdate=YES
ntpdate=NO
#apache=YES
apache=NO
postfix=NO
update_motd=NO

(I have telnet enabled)

I then enabled sshd, ntpdate, and apache and started them with no problems.

I tried to reboot the machine, and it seems like it panicked at reboot
because it never came back.

I hard booted it and it did boot up enough for me to log in again with
an rc.conf that looks like this:

sshd=YES
#sshd=NO
ntpdate=YES
#ntpdate=NO
apache=YES
#apache=NO
postfix=NO
update_motd=NO

I tried to reboot it again and I think it panicked before going down
again. I wonder if update_motd really allowed this kernel to boot?

So, this is some progress. I still need to see if there is any
evidence of a problem with a serial cable at some point.

Thanks!

Andy