Re: partial success: Seagate Dockstar

On Mon, Feb 07, 2011 at 11:20:46AM +0100, is%netbsd.org@localhost wrote:
> Update on my Dockstar experiments:

> - heavily reading from a "Freeagent Go 500GB" disk hangs the machine hard
> after a while - no ICMP echo reply, no BREAK into DDB...

Turned out to be a cooling problem. After I'd improvised a CPU heatsink,
it ran for several hours reading lots of data from the disk.

I didn't test yet whether it also runs stable with case closed (where
some Al foil below the cap has contact to the heat transfer pad on top
of the CPU), which is why I didn't report back earlier, but I didn't
run tests this weekend, so I guess I better reported this intermediate
result now.

Or to rephrase: whatever some Linux kiddies report on their Web Fora,
it is not safe to operate the Dockstar with opened case. Add a good
heatsink to the CPU if you do that.

Regards,
        -is