Re: Booting NSLU2 without using the serial port

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008, Donald T Hayford wrote:
Well, almost. I get it going up to the point where it mounts root from the NFS directory. If I leave the line "rc_configured=NO" in /etc/rc.conf, it stays in single user mode and refuses ssh logins. If I change the line to "rc_configured=YES", then it goes through the boot up, starts ssh, gives me the login prompt, but then requires a user name/password. root/root works for the serial port, but not for ssh.

To login as root via ssh, you have to set "PermitRootLogin yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config. For the password, just clear the second field in .../nfsroot/etc/master.passwd and .../nfsroot/etc/passwd. If that's not enough, rm the {s,}pwd.db files in there. The log in, and set a root password - that will rebuild the {s,}pwd.db files.

You can also try using pwd_mkdb(8), which may work as well.

When you're logged in as root and have set your new root password, do create a normal user account with useradd(8), give it a password. Add the normal user account to the "wheel" group in /etc/group, then make sure you can login as the user and use su(1) to switch to root. After that, disable root logins again.

BTW, if someone would come up with a full install doc for the NSLU, that'd be very much appreciated!

 - Hubert