Re: Kernel without SUN support

On Sun, 12 Nov 2023 at 09:16, Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 02:09:19PM +0100, Harald Meinzer wrote:
> > Hi out there,
> >
> > is there somebody out, who could compile a Kernel without this stupid 384 MB
> > Ram per Task limit? This is completely obsolete.
>
> The code supports 512MB address space and leaves 480MB for a user process,
> a small test program can malloc 438MB RAM.

Just checking - is that with the default limits and COMPAT_SUNOS enabled?

> You need to rewrite the pmap code (and other things) to exceed that, 68k
> supports a 4GB user address space, so that's not impossible.
>
> On the other hand, there is a rising number of programs that require more
> than 4GB RAM to build, the success might not last long.

Nothing lasts forever, but that doesn't mean removing a software
limitation to allow using more of the hardware's available address
space isn't worth doing :)

Maybe we can ping the other NetBSD/m68k mail lists and put together a
little bounty for someone interested in reworking the pmap? I'll put
up $50 to start a supply of $beverageOfChoice towards that end :)

David