Re: Kernel without SUN support

On Sat, Nov 11, 2023 at 02:09:19PM +0100, Harald Meinzer wrote:
> Hi out there,
>
> is there somebody out, who could compile a Kernel without this stupid 384 MB
> Ram per Task limit? This is completely obsolete.

The code supports 512MB address space and leaves 480MB for a user process,
a small test program can malloc 438MB RAM.

You need to rewrite the pmap code (and other things) to exceed that, 68k
supports a 4GB user address space, so that's not impossible.

On the other hand, there is a rising number of programs that require more
than 4GB RAM to build, the success might not last long.

> My A3000 have 1.3 GB of Memory, but I can not compile tools, when the
> compiler needs more than 384 MB RAM, that is a mess :(

Compilers that need 384 MB RAM to compile small programs are a mess.

But yes, it would be nice if you could natively build the base system.