Re: loadbsd memory segment (Was: NetBSD Amiga - Memory restrictions)

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Mar 2023, Frank Wille wrote:

> >> Option -p should work, which selects the memory segment with the
> >> highest priority instead of largest size.
> >
> > Maybe the default heuristics could be adjusted - load the kernel into
> > the highest priority memory segment of at least X MB (and make X an
> > optional command line option).
>
> Agreed. Selecting the memory segment by priority is mostly the better
> option.
>
> But other NetBSD developers already must have had these throughts decades
> ago, so I'm always afraid we are missing something... ;)

Maybe, but decades ago the Amiga hardware landscape looked very different.
The 128MB (or 256MB memory) memory that was theoretically available as
"localfast" seemed huge, and was almost always the largest block. It's
still true for most A1200 installations of course. But meanwhile 112MB
mods for the big-box mainboards became a thing, huge ZIII expansions
became a thing, etc.

I think the kernel should be always loaded to the CPU card local fast ram,
if possible, for performance reasons, which works just fine with the
memory-priority system, as that chunk is always the highest prio.

But of course adding the command line arguments to tune this won't hurt.

Charlie