Re: amiga pcmcia wifi cards

On Wed, 3 Nov 2021 at 08:13, Karoly Balogh <charlie%scenergy.dfmk.hu@localhost> wrote:

> In my experience the existing software workarounds (like CardReset on
> Aminet: https://aminet.net/package/util/boot/CardReset) are not perfect.
> For some cards they do work indeed, but for some they're just not
> effective at all, and you still need to unplug/replug the card.
>
> So in the end I also opted for a hardware patch on my mainboard(s). These
> can be bought as ready-made clip-on module for the Gayle chip, no
> soldering needed, for example:
> https://amigastore.eu/en/474-pcmcia-reset-bug-fix.html

Now that is a cute widget :)

It looks like the software workaround would be relatively simple
conceptually to implement - just holding the reset line for a period
before probing a slot. I assume the complication/unreliability would
be in needing an additional delay after the reset before attempting to
probe and access the card (to give the device time to settle down and
complete any post reset internal setup). That probably pushes it into
wanting a kernel thread to perform the reset and additional delay, so
the rest of the system can keep processing... Anyway, nice to see
there is a simple soldering free hardware patch :) :)

David