Re: X.org and A1200 AGA Graphics

On Sat, 16 Oct 2021 at 16:48, Carlos Milán Figueredo
<cmilanf%hispamsx.org@localhost> wrote:

> [...]

I don't think any current display hardware uses planar graphics
hardware, so it's possible that it would be harder to support under
modern X11 (it's been a decade or so since I last looked at any X11
code, and that was not a particularly deep look at the time).

> In any case, thanks for the driver! Better X in monochrome than no X at all :)

> > Hoping this can get approved for 9.3, if a 9.3 happens before 10.
>
> Yeah, since running X11R6 on recent release is more of a hack, it would be good this kernel to become the standard or at least available with the standard distribution just a wscons is.

netbsd-9 builds of the WSCONS kernel (from nyftp.netbsd.org) include
it from a day or so ago, and it will be in NetBSD 9.3 and 10.0

It would be an interesting project to try to build a kernel which can
provide the ite interfaces used by the X11R6 x11 drivers as well as
WSCONS. That would allow the GENERIC kernel to use wscons (for all the
console styling benefits and Xwsfb usage), while still allowing X11R6
X binaries to continue to run. Of course the real challange after that
would be to look to port one or more of the X11R6 X servers to modern
Xorg :-p

David