Re: X.org and A1200 AGA Graphics

Daniel Doran wrote:

> I have not attempted a NetBSD install on my Amiga 1200 yet but I was
> told there was not X.org graphics support for the Amiga 1200 in 9.2, is
> that right?

Unfortunately that's true. With the transition from XFree to X.org, a few
years ago, all the X drivers for the Amiga hardware became useless, and
there doesn't seem to be enough man power and motivation to recreate
everything in the same quality again.

I adapted some graphics card drivers to support wsfb(4), so X.org can at
least use a dumb frame buffer on them. But in the past we even had hardware
acceleration.

> If so is there anyway to get X Windows going on an Amiga A1200?

Not without a supported graphics card. Nobody implemented wsfb(4) for the
Amiga's native chipset yet.

As far as I remember it is also not so easy to implement wsfb for AGA,
because of the planar display hardware. Maybe monochrome could be done
without too much effort...

You would probably need a new Xamiga, based on X.org, which is a lot of
work.

> I DO have a 68030, 68882 and 128MB RAM in the form of a Phase 5
> Blizzard 1230 MK IV.

I doubt you would have much fun with an 68030 and X11 - even with the old
AGA driver. ;)

--
Frank Wille