Re: Insights from successful, yet painful, install attempt.

Hi,

So Amiga installation doesn't use sysinst? If it is a simple script, where could I find the source? The script does something useful: list the RDB partition table with NetBSD mapped device file, so you can chose the correct name for installation. I have not found any way to print this information after the install, that is quite annoying and dangerous if you intend to use dd.

I asked a question on this list, but without definitive answer so far. Taking a look on how the scripts does this would help.

Is this what you're looking for?

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/distrib/amiga/miniroot/install.md?rev=1.33&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

Apart from that, I felt your very same pains with the installation, like the lack of dhcp support. I ended up installing the system from WinUAE, by emulating a SCSI controller and a CD-ROM; then I took the CF card back to the real Amiga.

Since we're not trying to make miniroot.fs small enough to fit on a floppy disk, there really is no good reason to not have dhcpcd.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I feel less lonely now 😊 There is an interesting blog post about experience and tips installing NetBSD 9.1 in a Commodore Amiga here [2]. It mentions some of the current challenges, like the ptys, the lack of X11 support for native chipset and the makemandb one.

I think we need to revisit possible solutions for things like the initial makemandb or sshd run, like nicing and running in the background, and/or not running by default and printing a message on initial run if processor < m68040 or memory <= 16 megs, for example.

Now, I have some packages installed on that netbsd, and I've played
with X forwarding (displaying X11 apps on my laptop instead). I'm sad
about there being few packages built in the repositories. There's no
"modern" webbrowser (webkit/blink), but there's also no netsurf,
almost no window managers. Also no wxgtk, which also means no
wxpython.

There are some newer packages here, which is updated weekly:

http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/amiga/9.0_2021Q3/All/

Or here, which is updated several times a week:

http://pkg.zia.io/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/m68k/9.0_2021Q3/All/

It seems that blink is in pkgsrc-wip, which doesn't make it in to the official pkgsrc bulk build repositories, but I can try to build it anyway.

netsurf, I think, requires gtk3, which we don't yet have, but is compiling now. We'll have to see if it completes on a system with 256 megs of memory.

We have ctwm, fvwm, icewm, matchbox, blackbox, for starters, in 2021Q3 :)

I'm happy to take requests, because I have a couple of '040 machines that aren't yet running bulk builds directly.

As building packages on Amiga is slow (I have some experience doing
that on netbsd 8), binary packages are critical. I hear that the
reason we have few packages is that even with emulation, there's
serious ram restrictions (2GB and ~512MB per process, due to
limitations of current netbsd code around the m68k mmu), and that
severely restricts the packages that can be built natively, or
semi-natively (emulated m68k running netbsd).

It's speed more than memory at this point.

There are solutions for memory. one is that I have a Quadra 800 which can use 520 megs of memory, once it's finished. Another is that I could buy a Zorro III BigRam with 256 megs, or two, or three, and have 912 megs in an Amiga.

Speedwise, emulation isn't exactly ready yet, but there's lots of excellent work going on right now. Jake Hamby is working on an Amiga qemu target, there's Tetsuya Isaki's nono emulator, and Twitter user astr0baby has been posting about NetBSD/mac68k running in qemu incredibly quickly on an M1 Mac.

When emulation is ready, we'll certainly use it. Until then, I've just finished repairing an Amiga 3000 which has a 66 MHz m68060 in it which will be dedicatd to pkgsrc bulk package builds. Everything currently runs on a colocated 50 MHz m68060 which also does lots of other things, so having a dedicated machine will help lots. Also, since it will be able to share an NFS mount with several m68040 systems, automatic parallel building will be possible.

John