Re: problems when building mysql in NetBSD 6

Hello,

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012, Frank Wille wrote:
I can't build mysql51-client on NetBSD 6.

Sorry for not replying earlier, but it is not easy to find the time to
reproduce such an error on my Amiga. The machine is busy for at least 6
hours to build the client (fortunately I already got Perl).

I wish there was a way to speed this up.

This is the error that I get:

checking libedit variant of rl_completion_entry_function... no
checking defined rl_compentry_func_t and rl_completion_func_t... no
checking HIST_ENTRY is declared in readline/readline.h...
configure: error: Could not find system readline or libedit libraries
               Use --with-readline or --with-libedit to use the bundled
               versions of libedit or readline
*** Error code 1

That's the same error which you got with mysql5-client. So you have a
general problem with readline or libedit.

I have built mysql5-client over the last night without any problem! Using
pkgsrc-2012Q3 on a 6.0 installation.

Ok, then it must be something that is only on my system.

Is readline missing from my system or is it just not finding it?

Maybe you need to fix your 6.0 installation. Either there is something wrong
with it, or the mysql-client package has a bug and depends on other
packages already installed, but not actually entered in its depedencies.

I did the install over a 4.0 install. I guess there still could be a problem, but I did everything I could to ensure that the install is right.

For example I had also the readline-6.2 package installed. Maybe this makes
a difference?

This may be the problem. I installed readline-6.2 and I am trying to build mysql51-client again. I am hoping this will fix it.

If it is just not finding readline, how do I tell it where it is?

It should find it. When I look into my successful config.log, I see the
following lines:

---8<---
configure:25833: checking defined rl_compentry_func_t and
rl_completion_func_t
configure:25855: c++ -c  -DDBUG_OFF -Os -DUSE_OLD_FUNCTIONS -I/usr/include
-fno-implicit-templates -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -Dunix -Dunix
-I/usr/include conftest.cpp >&5
conftest.cpp: In function 'int main()':
conftest.cpp:310:3: error: 'rl_completion_func_t' was not declared in this
scope
conftest.cpp:310:25: error: 'func1' was not declared in this scope
conftest.cpp:310:54: error: expected primary-expression before ')' token
conftest.cpp:310:55: error: expected ';' before numeric constant
configure:25855: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
[...]
configure:25871: result: no
configure:25875: checking HIST_ENTRY is declared in readline/readline.h
configure:25896: c++ -c  -DDBUG_OFF -Os -DUSE_OLD_FUNCTIONS -I/usr/include
-fno-implicit-templates -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -Dunix -Dunix
-I/usr/include conftest.cpp >&5
configure:25896: $? = 0
configure:25912: result: yes
---8<---

So the failure with rl_completion_func_t is normal.

But then it finds HIST_ENTRY in readline/readline.h and continues. After
that your configuration breaks with an error.

Can you check /usr/include/readline/readline.h for HIST_ENTRY? Maybe it is
missing.

I do have HIST_ENTRY in /usr/include/readline/readline.h.

Although, I wish I could do a diff of your readline.h and mine.

I have tried editing Makefile.common. I changed --without-readline to
--with-readline. I now get this error:
[...]
g++: error trying to exec '/usr/libexec/cc1plus': execv: Cannot
allocate memory

Uh... out of memory. How much do you have installed? I have 128MB physical
memory and 512MB swap. I was compiling on an A3000 with CSPPC/060.

I have 128MB physical and 2 768MB swap partitions for a total of 1536MB of swap. It is a 2000 with a bizzard 2060. There was a time when this sytem used to run from 500 to 700 MB of swap all the time and transfer 30-35 GB in files every day. I wish that I could bring those days back again.

Has anyone else tried to build mysql and are they having the same
problems? I really need this system to work. I just can't afford any
more downtime.

I have uploaded my mysql5-client package to:
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/phx/amiga/mysql-client-5.0.96.tgz

Thank you!!!

I have it downloaded.

Its installation depends on Perl>=5.0. Hope you already got that.

Yes, I do. Perl takes an extremely long time to build.

Thank you for all your help!

Kind Regards,
Al