Re: 2.0_Beta: segfaults in vfprintf_unlocked / nbmake loses in realloc

Hi,

Thus wrote John Klos (john%ziaspace.com@localhost):

> >I'm using innd as an example because the executable is older than the OS
> >upgrade and -used- to run stable, but top and vmstat, eg, also segfault in
> >the same routine, always in conjunction with formatting a float.
> >top lasts about 2 to 5 minutes, innd fails about once or twice a day.
>
> Perhaps you can send me a copy of your innd binary and a sample config?

Unless you want to run a newsserver (and have feeds for it) that wouldn't
be very useful, as it doesn't fail while doing nothing. :-) Also, sample
config would not help a lot because my Usenet peers wouldn't necessarily
peer with you (one picks them by network topology). If you want to
just check if you see the segfault, running top for a while is a lot more
convenient. In case you want to emulate my brand of crazyness, just page
me again. :-)

> >Another cutie that started to happen with the upgrade is:
> >nbmake in realloc(): error: brk(2) failed [internal error]
>
> I haven't seen this one before.
>
> >>From earlier messages on this list 2.0_BETA built itself fine a month
> >ago, on 060 too, so either the problems are newer than that,
> >only happen on way busy machines or, well, insert another CPU. :-7
>
> I'm in the process of rebuilding everything from today's sources, so I'll
> let you know how that goes. My system is an '060, too, which I hope to
> FINALLY have set up locally so that I can test serial console and ite
> stuff.

My patient is an Amiga 3000 with a Cyberstorm MkII, 80M of real in total,
and has been running headless and with a serial console for a while.
Please note that you either need a special cable that short-cirtuits the
hardware DTR, or keep something connected that keeps DTR up, otherwise
it'll just freeze as soon as the serial buffer is full (and happily
continue as soon as you empty it).

> >To further analyse that it would be nice to know if anybody else who
> >runs this months 2.0_BETA on Amiga sees the same problem(s), and what
> >CPU they use.
>
> When we can keep pkgsrc/sysutils/crashme from crashing 2.0, I'll be
> upgrading another machine, too.

The box is up 21 days and counting; whatever it is, it doesn't make the
complete system fail (yet).

regards,
        spz
--