Re: ld.so: undefined symbol [was: Re: ImageMagick Error]

Hi John,

It has been a long time since I have heard from you. How are you doing?

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, John Klos wrote:
> >>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >> Did you set LOCALBASE to "/usr/local" instead of using the default
> >> "/usr/pkgsrc"?
> >
> > Yes, I did set LOCALBASE in mk.conf to "/usr/local" instead of using the
> > default.  Could this explain why I am having this problem?
>
> No, not unless you have some packages in /usr/pkg/ and others in
> /usr/local/. You're not mixing binary packages and pkgsrc-built packages,
> are you?
>
> The best thing to do would be to delete all of the packages on which
> ImageMagick depends, then rebuild ImageMagick from scratch. You should do
> this with a recent pkgsrc tree, either pkgsrc-2004Q2, or just the regular
> pkgsrc tree. Using pkgsrc from 1.4 or 1.5 could make your machine
> insecure:

I downloaded the latest pkgsrc last week with cvs, but I could not get
libtool to build. So, I was unsuccessful at building ImageMagick. I'd like
to download pkgsrc-2004Q2 to see if that makes a difference, but I keep
getting errors. Is that only on some of the cvs mirrors?

> So, after you get a new pkgsrc tree, try this when the machine is
> otherwise quiet:
>
> pkg_delete -f mpeg2codec jasper jpeg libexif libwmf freetype2 png libxml2
> xmlcatmgr xmlcatmgr tiff
> cd /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/ImageMagick/
> make update

I really can't remove some of these, like jpeg or tiff (at least for a
long period of time), because some of them are being used by some php
scripts.

> Ideally, at some point you should plan ahead a little and upgrade to
> NetBSD 2.0.

I have thought about this, and I have a second server that I am setting
up, but it has some hardware problems that I have not been able to track
down. It doesn't seem to like its keyboard or mouse, and if I boot with
the blizzard 2060 card installed, then it has problem with its floppy
drive. Also, if I boot from a hard drive everything that is on the monitor
gets shifted to the left. I thought that it maybe a problem with its CIA
chips, but I can't seem to find any of the spares that I have for Agnus.

Thanks,
Al