Re: ld.so: undefined symbol [was: Re: ImageMagick Error] (fwd)

Hey, Al!

/usr/libexec/ld.so: Undefined symbol "_BZ2_bzCompressEnd" in
convert:/usr/local/lib/libMagick.so.5.28
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Did you set LOCALBASE to "/usr/local" instead of using the default
"/usr/pkgsrc"?

Yes, I did set LOCALBASE in mk.conf to "/usr/local" instead of using the
default.  Could this explain why I am having this problem?

No, not unless you have some packages in /usr/pkg/ and others in /usr/local/. You're not mixing binary packages and pkgsrc-built packages, are you?

The best thing to do would be to delete all of the packages on which ImageMagick depends, then rebuild ImageMagick from scratch. You should do this with a recent pkgsrc tree, either pkgsrc-2004Q2, or just the regular pkgsrc tree. Using pkgsrc from 1.4 or 1.5 could make your machine insecure:

http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CAN-2003-0455

So, after you get a new pkgsrc tree, try this when the machine is otherwise quiet:

pkg_delete -f mpeg2codec jasper jpeg libexif libwmf freetype2 png libxml2
xmlcatmgr xmlcatmgr tiff
cd /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/ImageMagick/
make update

Ideally, at some point you should plan ahead a little and upgrade to NetBSD 2.0.

Good luck,
John Klos