Re: ld.so: undefined symbol [was: Re: ImageMagick Error]

Hey,

It has been a long time since I have heard from you. How are you doing?

Keeping busy - there are a lot of things to work on these days, considering how NetBSD 2.0 will be out soon!

I downloaded the latest pkgsrc last week with cvs, but I could not get
libtool to build. So, I was unsuccessful at building ImageMagick. I'd like
to download pkgsrc-2004Q2 to see if that makes a difference, but I keep
getting errors. Is that only on some of the cvs mirrors?

Hmmm... Maybe it's time to upgrade.

2004Q2 should be on all of the cvs mirrors, as far as I know.

pkg_delete -f mpeg2codec jasper jpeg libexif libwmf freetype2 png libxml2
xmlcatmgr xmlcatmgr tiff
cd /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/ImageMagick/
make update

I really can't remove some of these, like jpeg or tiff (at least for a
long period of time), because some of them are being used by some php
scripts.

True; recompiling them might take a while.

Ideally, at some point you should plan ahead a little and upgrade to
NetBSD 2.0.

I have thought about this, and I have a second server that I am setting
up, but it has some hardware problems that I have not been able to track
down. It doesn't seem to like its keyboard or mouse, and if I boot with
the blizzard 2060 card installed, then it has problem with its floppy
drive. Also, if I boot from a hard drive everything that is on the monitor
gets shifted to the left. I thought that it maybe a problem with its CIA
chips, but I can't seem to find any of the spares that I have for Agnus.

If you can get past the keyboard issue somehow, you could get a basic install of NetBSD 2.0 on it, then just add a user account which can su, tell it to use dhcp, and start ssh. Then forget about the keyboard, mouse, and floppy drive.

Then, you could compile all of the packages which are on agnus, copy over your config files, and just swap the system drive.

I'm in the process of doing this with my machines; it's even possible to upgrade to 2.0 remotely, if one were so inclined.

Good luck,
John
--
"Capitalism is the absurd belief that the worst of men, for the worst of reasons, will somehow work for the benefit of us all." -- John Maynard Keynes