Re: kernel compiled, now what?

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:49:51PM -0400, John Klos wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I compiled the kernel, but I am not sure what to do next with it.
> >How do I install the new kernel if I boot using loadbsd?
>
> The easiest thing to do (since you are using the bootloader, not the
> bootblocks) is to FTP it to another machine, copy it to floppy, boot
> into AmigaDOS on your A2000, and copy the new kernel onto your
> AmigaDOS partition.

The easiest thing ist to use BFFS 1.5 to mount one of the NetBSD partitions
on AmigaOS and read it from there.

Also an option, but be careful: any typo will destroy one of your file
systems!

- shutdown now
        (shutdown to single user mode; without -r and without -h)
- swapctl -U
        (but I forgot whether this worked with NetBSD-1.4)
- tar cvf /dev/rsd0b netbsd-new
        (write a tar format archive of the kernel to swap partition)
- reboot

Inside AmigaOS, use e.g. dcp to get the tar archive out of the swap partition;
you'll need to know the approximate size. To be on the safe side, copy a few
blocks more. Then use AmigaOS tar to extract the kernel.

A third option is to use GoBSD (by Michael van Elst; should be available on
Aminet, I think). If I recall right, it can directly read NetBSD partitions.
However, I don't remember wether the author upgraded it to the latest kernel
calling conventions, so this might work or not.

> Don't forget to keep around the old kernel in case there is something
> broken on your new kernel!

Strongly seconded.