Re: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

In <Pine.NEB.4.20.0001081427190.28877-100000%reva.sixgirls.org@localhost>, on
01/10/00
   at 07:09 AM, John Klos <john%klos.com@localhost> said:

>OK, now, what's the point here?

>Everyone who has used both prefers one or the other for all sorts of
>reasons. While it might be useful to know why people prefer one, the real
>issue should be more focused around technical points.

I've only had NetBSD installed for less than a week.  I have noticed that
it can be booted from the Amiga boot menu.  Linux however is not to the
point where it can do so.  It requires either Amiga Lilo or boothack to
boot.  Amiga Lilo used to work a long time ago, with the M68K
distribution.  I'm not sure it is maintained anymore.   I guess the real
problem with Linux in this reqard, is it can't initialize the hardware
properly like NetBSD.  In that sense NetBSD is more mature.  I've also
noticed that NetBSD seems really stable, so far.

>If anyone has access to two identical machines, or is dual-booting Linux
>and BSD, then perhaps we can do some real testing that has some meaning.

I don't have M68K Linux on my machine anymore.  But I can tell you that
PowerPC Linux, or APUS as it's called on the Amiga is waaaaaay faster than
NetBSD, as you might expect.

>I have heard that BSD's TCP stack is much better than Linux's; I would
>like to try to have a good handful of fast machines hit some comparison
>machines with lots and lots of connections (like Apachebench (ab) or
>something similar).

I've noticed that NetBSD seems to have a robust and complete TCP/IP setup
out of the box, there was very little fiddling required to get it to work.

>Also, although I haven't run Linux/m68k much, I have the impression that
>NetBSD is more stable. I had a few core dumps in Linux in the few days
>that I did run it, but I haven't had one since I installed BSD.

Right now if there were a version of NetBSD that ran on the PowerPC chip,
I believe I would dump Linux on my Amiga.

Fred