Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

On 7 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> - NetBSD seems to have better gfx card support especially under X11
>   - resolution mode change
>   - 16/24 bit support (probably also there with Linux 2.1+ kernels)
>   - more gfx cards

Actually, the X servers under Linux/m68k use the kernel's framebuffer
devices only. So I wouldn't say "especially under X11"... :-)

> - The NetBSD on the Amiga Unix Compendium CD comes with compiled KDE
>   packages, Linux m68k does not. Important for the user IMHO!

This is basically a matter of ideology...

> - Linux is also available in a version which runs on PPC Amiga. NetBSD
>   is not yet.

You forget one important thing: Linux has Linus Torvalds, and Linus has no
m68k machine to test changes on. Basically every second thing Linus does
breaks m68k. The latest kernel to run stable is 2.0.36, everything else
needs major reworking to even compile. I'd switch over to a NetBSD kernel
on my Amiga the second that Debian GNU/BSD is available...

   Simon