Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, [ISO-8859-1] Kolbjørn Barmen wrote:

> > Is there any feelable speed difference? Is NetBSD faster than Linux m68k
> > on the same machine or vice versa? Which one has more packages, which one
> > has more up-to-date packages? And stuff like this.
>
> Linux in general is easier to maintain imho, due to the package systems.

        With respect to the base OS, or to additional packages?
        The former I can well believe, but I've had no end of pain
        finding the right RPM at times, and pkgsrc has been a blessing
        in comparision.

> At the end of the days you choose whichever has best support for your
> hardware, ethernet cards, gfx cards, scsi controllers etc.

        Lack of hardware support can eliminate choices, but quite often
        you are left to select on other critera.

                David/absolute