Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

On 7 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> I also used already Debian Linux m68k and RedHat, but I do not have any
> experience in NetBSD...

I have exeriences with both, allthough I havent run netbsd on amiga
for years, my friend on the next table here is running netbsd on his
hp appollo (o4o machine).

> So depending on to whom you listen NetBSD's TCP/IP-implementation is way
> better than Linux ones for example. Holger Kruse states such for example.
> People at Amiga Inc. said this is not quite true. But then all they
> delivered was vapor-ware.

Holger has since eaten camels on this.

> Is there any feelable speed difference? Is NetBSD faster than Linux m68k
> on the same machine or vice versa? Which one has more packages, which one
> has more up-to-date packages? And stuff like this.

Linux in general is easier to maintain imho, due to the package systems.

At the end of the days you choose whichever has best support for your
hardware, ethernet cards, gfx cards, scsi controllers etc.

 Kolbjørn Barmen |    a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/LinuxPPC   |    // T e a m
 <kolla%nvg.org@localhost> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k  a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A
M I G A
 Nettverksgruppa |    "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>