Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

On 7 Jan 2000, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

> >  Another possible solution could be to add an optional tools package
> >  to the distribution which contains emacs and some other stuff which
> >  (supposedly) makes life easier for some people.
>
> Would be great. It may be just a matter of taste and habits... but I think
> some would really enjoy to be able to run an editor in their terminal
> where one actually can use some cursor keys to move the cursor, text is
> inserted at cursor position and it has some hotkey to save a file and exit
> the editor.

Vi has this you know :)

I use vim to write this, vi improved. It originates from Amiga, first
appeared on fish disk 537 or there abouts, check it out at htt://www.vim.org

It is very nice to have an editor I can use on all systems I have contact
with, be it some unix, macos, windows, dos, riscos or whatever.

> First I tried "vi" I had a quite hard time to exit it again. I guess I
> switched to another console and killed it with "top".

Very simle really, you hit esc to be sure you are in command mode, then..

:write
:quit

or for short..

:wq

> Oh... this reminds me of another Operating System... : AmigaOS. But they
> got rid of "edlin" quite some time ago ;-).

No, edit is still there and is used by those who know how to use it.

It is imortant to have tools like this for automat editing of files from
scripts.

> >  I think a solution completely within NetBSD would be better. Again,
> >  maybe an additional package with emacs-no-X/jed/pico/whatever might help.
>
> Oh, Pico! ;-) Nice, I will try to install that one.

A note on pico, be sure to run it as "pico -w", best is to make an alias.
Without -w it will wrap your lines, and this will definetly ruin your setup
scripts. Pico was really only meant as a simle editor for writing mail in Pine.

> >  I think you'll have to explicitly mount it read-only, i.e. -r ro
> >  (not sure, check the mount man page; or put it into fstab).

I would guess -o ro

 Kolbjørn Barmen |    a3k/o6o/6o4e/AmigaOS/MacOS/LinuxPPC   |    // T e a m
 <kolla%nvg.org@localhost> | a12ooCT/o3o/Linux-m68k  a6oo/o3o/AmigaOS | \XX/ A
M I G A
 Nettverksgruppa |    "I met the Amiga and fell in love..." | <amiga.nvg.org>