Re: Review article: Comparison NetBSD / Linux for Amiga

>  Another possible solution could be to add an optional tools package
>  to the distribution which contains emacs and some other stuff which
>  (supposedly) makes life easier for some people.

Would be great. It may be just a matter of taste and habits... but I think
some would really enjoy to be able to run an editor in their terminal
where one actually can use some cursor keys to move the cursor, text is
inserted at cursor position and it has some hotkey to save a file and exit
the editor.

First I tried "vi" I had a quite hard time to exit it again. I guess I
switched to another console and killed it with "top".

>  The fact that Linux distributions come with loads of software has
>  it's good sides and bad sides: OTOH, you get (almost) everything you
>  ever wished for, OTOtherH a lot of crap you'll never use takes up
>  valuable disk space. One of the things I liked about NetBSD in the
>  first place was that it's so small.

Oh... this reminds me of another Operating System... : AmigaOS. But they
got rid of "edlin" quite some time ago ;-).

>  I think a solution completely within NetBSD would be better. Again,
>  maybe an additional package with emacs-no-X/jed/pico/whatever might help.

Oh, Pico! ;-) Nice, I will try to install that one.

> [mounting ados fs]
> > get it mounted... I try
> >
> > mount -t ados /dev/sd0e /amiga
> >
> > But it doesn't work. Oh, it says it mounts it read-only, and there is no

>  I think you'll have to explicitly mount it read-only, i.e. -r ro
>  (not sure, check the mount man page; or put it into fstab).

Hopefully this works. Cause I need to transfer the editor package from
AmigaOS to NetBSD as only AmigaOS is set up for internet access yet (via
Miami Deluxe). Maybe I can also use floppy disk if nothing helps.

--
Martin 'Helios' Steigerwald  - http://helios.home.pages.de
PGP: http://home.pages.de/~helios/autor/wie-erreichen.html