Re: Cannot run X as non-root user

Lars Hecking writes:

> > >  I'm running X through startx, which, as far as I can find out, runs
> > >  xinit, which runs Xwrapper, which runs X, which is a link to Xamiga.
> >
> > Oh. in this case, compare to below:
> >
> > jocelyn log !% ls -l `which Xwrapper`
> > -r-s--x--x  1 root  bin  16384 Apr  9  1999 /usr/X11R6/bin/Xwrapper*
> >
> > and
> >
> > jocelyn log !% ls -l /dev/kbd
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel  14, 0 Nov 25  1995 /dev/kbd
>
>  Yep, same here.

 Ok, some more info.

 I got it partially working now by running

 Xwrapper -dev /dev/grf3 -mode 4

 as non-root user. I get a blank X screen with no window manager or anything
 else running, just blank. C-Alt-BS gets me out.

 This leads me to the assumption that the Xserver doesn't read any config
 files, system-wide or user specific. And, maybe, the communication between
 startx/xinit/Xwrapper/X isn't working as it should.

 xdm works, sort of. If I log in as root and start xdm, I can log in as
 a user. But I only get the standard twm setup, ~/.xinitrc is totally
 ignored. The only way to run wmaker is to manually kill twm and start
 wmaker ...