Re: Mount_ados Problem

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 09:28:36 -0500 (EST),
Todd Vierling <tv%pobox.com@localhost> wrote about Re: Mount_ados Problem:
> On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Ola Olsson wrote:
>
> : I've come across a strange mount_ados problem. I added some new
> : package files to my Amiga NetBSD directory. When I mount that
> : directory in NetBSD using mount_ados none of the new files show up --
> : in fact, some files that I recently deleted are still there?! It's as
> : though I was looking at a snapshot taken a day earlier.
>
> If your AmigaOS side is at least Kickstart V39 (OS 3.0), check to see if
> your filesystem is `directory cache'.
>
> Most system info programs will be willing to show you the `DOSType' of the
> disk, which is 0x444f5300 for OFS, 0x444f5301 for FFS, 0x444f5303 for FFS
> with international character support, and 0x444f5305 for dircache.  If it's
> dircache ("DOS\5"), you are not going to get reliable service out of
> mount_ados and will see oddities like this.

I solved the problem. The solution was based upon the fact that I was
being a big dope! It's really quite funny so, I thought I'd share the
humour with you. A short while ago my main HD died. Luckily it was
still under warranty so, while I waited for its replacement I rebuilt
my system from tape backup and distributed it over some remaining
drives. Basically what I had done was to mirror my original setup
using assignments to simulate the partitions on the dead drive. When I
got the new drive back I reconfigured it and went along my merry way
forgetting that I still had the "mirrored" partitions on the other
drives. The Ados partition I was mounting in NetBSD was the wrong
drive! It looked the same in every way except that it was not the one
that was geting updated! Pretty silly eh!

Cheers,
Ola

--
/** Ola Olsson