Re: XDM Problem?

On 17.02.99, 06:16:41, Ola Olsson wrote:
> so the xdm login works. Now I have to reconfigure xdm to mirror the
> paths, shell, and window manager I had set up with the earlier login
> method. Who said this wasn't fun ;^)

This should normally be done on a per-user basis. Normally this would
only require copying an existing ".xinitrc" file to ".xsession".

The session started if no file exists should be as failsafe as
possible, root should probably not have a fancy X session, it is
generally a Bad Thing to login as root. Use su instead.

line in the /etc/rc.local file and have xdm started automatically via
/etc/rc.conf; still it works fine. Even if starting the X server one
or two times at the beginning would fail due to unconfigured graphics
modes, xdm will restart it again until it succeeds.

If you are planning on long uptimes, it might be a good idea to add
the -terminate option to the server line in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers, as the Xserver tends to grow in size
when running for several days or weeks on end. With this option the
server exits at the end of a session and xdm starts a fresh one.

--
Bernd Sieker

Windows. Just say No.