Re: 1.3.3 Setup

Ola Olsson wrote:

> >  Please enter "sd2b" and as dump partition you enter "none", just as
> > described in the INSTALL guide:
>
> Actually I understand that -- I should have elaborated. I tried sd2b
> first and got the error which led me to try others. I reordered the
> partitions from root, usr, swap to root, swap, usr. As far as I know
> this shouldn't make a difference but, when I entered sd2b this time it
> progressed a little further but with a new error. Now it complains
> that:
>
> root file system type: ffs
> stop: parity error
>
> Is there something in the RDB that is preventing the custom dostype
> from being recognized? I don't mean to be ignorant but this is
> confusing. My other NetBSD setups were on dedicated drives. This is
> the first time I've shared FFS partitions with NetBSD.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ola

I had problems like that, both during install, and after managing to
install, with just running, every now and then I'd get some errors.
SO I partitioned my drive and made sure (after watching the newfs
command talk about 16 cyl/group) that my partitions were multiples
of 16.   I had some left over space, and just made it a small
amigaOS partition where I keep a kernel to boot into NetBSD.  This
may or may not help.  On another note, I use a seagate barracuda
for my NetBSd system, and I have another seagate, a hawk, attached,
and it's geometry really confuses bsd, so you may have a problem like
that.

On a side note, I might actually sell my Seagate barracuda with the
NetBSD installed.  (I have a different machine for NetBSD now)

jeff