Re: Question about GCC

On Tue, Oct 20, 1998 at 10:57:15AM +0300, Arto Huusko wrote:

> I  also  once  tried  compiling  kernel  with -m68040.  I got the same
> results and got back to -m68020-40 which again worked.
>
> As  far  as  I  recall  there was only one file with which the compile
> produced an error and that was one of the Amiga specific files.  Can't
> remember now which one but I can check it quickly.
>
> The kernel did compile/work cleanly even when I used -m68040 for every
> file but that one particular file.

If you insist to use -m68040, you still would need the additional
-Wa,-m68030 to make gas understand the inline assembler in (e.g.)
machdep.c, amiga_start.c for cache manipulation, _which is incompatible
between cpus!_ and thus handled by 68020/30 assembler opcodes and .word
instructions for th 68040 and 68060. Read the code if you want to
understand the details.

Regards,
        Ignatios Souvatzis