Re: Question about GCC

On 20-Lok-98, Bo wrote:

> Just a curiosity question... Why is it that GCC will sometimes choke on
> me when I try to compile code for the 68040?  The kernel is one of the
> most notable examples of this... when I modified the default -m68020 to
> -m68040, the build process chokes about 2/3 ways through the build,
> because the assembler doesn't understand the assembly.  I have gotten
> around this by either doing -m68020-40 or by using -m68040 -Wa,-m68030.
> I find this second option even more interesting, that telling the assembler
> the code is for the 030 it will take the 040 code. Why is this?

I  also  once  tried  compiling  kernel  with -m68040.  I got the same
results and got back to -m68020-40 which again worked.

As  far  as  I  recall  there was only one file with which the compile
produced an error and that was one of the Amiga specific files.  Can't
remember now which one but I can check it quickly.

The kernel did compile/work cleanly even when I used -m68040 for every
file but that one particular file.

--
Arto Huusko
E-Mail : arto.huusko%pp.qnet.fi@localhost