Re: IP translator

On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, David Brownlee wrote:

>       The best approach is probably to download the most recent
>       binary snapshot first to use as a base - there have been many
>       changes since 1.2 and this will make it simpler to get to
>       -current.

Done.  I pulled the binary for 1.2D, unpacked and installed it.

>       You should then backup make and config, rebuild them from the
>       latest source, customise a kernel config file, compile & boot
>       it. 'ps' & friends will not function until you recompile the
>       userland ('cd /usr/src ; make build'), but the system should work
>       fine to complete the aforementioned compile.

I ended up using the two partitions that I'd set aside on my other drive
for installing NetBSD.  I couldn't use that drive originally, since I
needed at least one more partition.  Now, I have NetBSD 1.2 installed in
one set of partitions, and 1.2G installed on another set, and have been
able to go back and forth between them by holding down the two mouse
buttons during a re-boot.

I believe that I've successfully made a custom kernel, and have compiled
most of the other software in the tree.  This does bring up some questions
about my installation.  If I followed the above recommendation ('cd
/usr/src ; make build'), 'build' is an unknown target.  In the
distribution of current that I have from NetBSD.ORG, there is no
'Makefile' in /usr/src, unless I've missed installing something.  Further,
several of the programs didn't compile, as they seem to want to rely on
parts that are in another directory, and appear to be referenced by the
'.PATH:' variable in make, but this variable seems to be ignored.

Also, is CVS used by Amiga NetBSD, and do I need to get it installed?
If so, doe somebody have the configuration files that they'd be
willing to share?  Or would somebody supply the correct pointers on
where to look in the release tree?

In addition, I think that I've found the 'sup' part of the release.
Does somebody have the configuration files for it that they'd be
willing to share?  Or would somebody supply the correct pointers on
where to look in the release tree?

Thanks,
--
  Don Phillips         bsd%blkhole.resun.com@localhost